Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why am I studying Japanese?

It is a good question. Up until last year, I was required by all of my schools to take a language, and so up until last year I studied French. Having studied French for so many years, it was no longer exciting to me. Instead, French class felt like the same grammar lesson over and over again. I forgot about why I was taking the language: so that I could speak with people from France.

Last year, I reminded myself what is exciting about studying languages. So when I started to consider where in the world I would like to travel to and meet people from, I came to Japan. My interest in Japan probably originates in my background in ceramics. Japanese ceramicists have always been some of the best artists in the ceramic world, and they influence a lot of other artists. As I learned more about Japan, through my Japanese friends, literature, Japanese pop-culture, and other Japanese art forms, I became more and more attracted to Japan.

Now that I am learning the language, I really enjoy the challenge of figuring out the language. Sometimes it feels like one big puzzle that I am trying to solve.

I have never been to Japan. Hopefully that will change soon. I am not sure if I want to study there, but I am sure that I will get there eventually and I will get to experience the unique culture that is Japan.

4 comments:

Hamada said...

I didn't know that there are good Japanese artists in the ceramic field. One of my friends who is also studying Japanese is also into arts. She traveled Japan and visited quite a few art museums there. Maybe, you can do that in the near future:)

Kyul Ko said...

Very nicely written! Can you maybe post something in French one day? I am sure everyone will understand what you are writing about...NOT!

Maria said...

フランスごですか。 いいですね~
みんなにフランスごをおしえてください。 とてもきれいなごですね。

While I'd rather learn Japanese more, I always wanted to learn a romantic language, i.e. French. I wish I were trilingual.

hui ting said...

claire san
i totally agree with you that japan is a unique place...i am very admire with their unique culture...nice to meet you, i am hui ting from malaysia ...nice to meet you....you can call me michelle